MOST POPULAR POSTS: beautiful strong words.

here are 10 of the most beautiful words in the human language. try sprinkling them throughout your next conversation & admire the way they feel rolling off your lips. watch how the listener’s eyes light up.

1. adroit: dexterous, agile
2. adumbrate: to very gently suggest
3. aestivate: to summer, to spend the summer
4. ailurophile: a cat-lover
5. beatific: befitting an angel or saint
6. beleaguer: to exhaust with attacks
7. blandiloquent: beautiful & flattering
8. caliginous: dark & misty
9. champagne: an effervescent wine
10. chatoyant: like a cat’s eye
11-100.

About these ads
Comments
50 Responses to “MOST POPULAR POSTS: beautiful strong words.”
  1. julie says:

i so agree. they are stunning ❤
    also; ‘flamboyant’ and ‘petrachor’.
    1 – http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flamboyant
    2 – http://www.reference.com/search?q=Petrichor

2. michael says:

AMAZING list!!! Thank you so much for posting it!

3. Catherine says:

3. aestivate: to summer, to spend the summer

i LOVE this. i’m teaching it to my 9th graders. :)

4. Jim says:

I take issue with the top word on your list. Adroit comes from the French word for “right”, as in “right handed”. It is the direct antonym of gauche, both in English and in its native French where it means “left”, as in “left handed”. As a non-right-hander I find both of these words to be handist and offensive.

5. Cassandra says:

effervescent – exciting, giving off bubbles, fizzy.

6. Caliginous is the color of my mind.

Thanks for reminding me!

7. mizwrite says:

How nice! Thanks for the list!

8. maleesha says:

Those are wonderful.

9. they are images not words…they seem beautiful like a beautiful image…but they don’t have content…

10. Philippa says:

Great list.

I am reminded of when I was out to dinner with my spouse and another couple, and the other guy dropped his fork on the floor. As he leant down to pick it up he apologized, saying “Sorry, how gauche of me.” Quick as a flash, my hubby replied, “But how adroit you were picking it up.” That tickled my funny bone with the play on words (ref Jim above).

11. Anil says:

Libertine is my favorite, even if its not in the list.

12. Spencer D. says:

“adumbrate: to very gently suggest” – my dictionary says 1. to produce a faint image or resemblance of; to outline or sketch.
    2. to foreshadow; prefigure.
    3. to darken or conceal partially; overshadow.

13. mikelambert says:

Huh?

14. prometheusbaked says:

Personally, I’ve always found “vehemently” to sound rather lovely. But nice post! :D

15. حسین says:

با اجازه فارسی زبان ها هم از این افزونه بهره مند شده اند

16. anthromes says:

what about absquatulate? meaning, to leave abruptly under suspicious circumstances.

17. lizzy says:

thank you for this list.
    the words make my heart tremble & leap & thrill.
    this place is healing for the soul.

18. chris says:

This was great to stumble upon. Thanks!

19. youareremarkable.wordpress.com – cooooolest domain name)))
    ————————
    signature: http://dewat.ru/

20. escafecam says:

Hello, I can’t understand how to add your blog ( youareremarkable.wordpress.com ) in my rss reader
    ————————
    ad: http://josemrg2.lised.ru/

21. NonPalaagom says:

youareremarkable.wordpress.com – cooooolest domain name)))
    ————————
    ad: http://josephouzo.lised.ru/

22. RaiulBaztepo says:

Hello!
    Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
    PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language ;)
    See you!
    Your, Raiul Baztepo

23. lilly says:

wow this is very helpful! thanks alot(:

24. babe says:

the words r to big fer me.. i dont understand them

25. Qiaoanuo says:

Wow!!! omg! Those words made me feel like I never went to school! They were great though. I was actually looking around for baby names with really beautiful meanings (just happened across this list). If any of you have names to suggest, omg, do feel ogliged! :)

26. Blu Ray says:

Very nice, it made my day to say these words. Thanks for posting them. :)

27. dejanira says:

some of these words on here i have learned in school alike the beging of the year.

28. dejanira says:

i meant “like the beging of the year.”

29. dejanira says:

i think if someone needs words to look at when your writing a paper or anything this is the type of web site that anyone and everyone should look at…..because, im writing a paper for school and i needed to look up some words i came across this web site and saw some words i could use. so when anyone needs a word always and i mean always look at http://youareremarkable.wordpress.com.

30. Kimberly says:

These words are great! Some of them helped me, but I made a band called, “Your Remarkable Words” But, thanks!!

31. amico says:

i need some hyphaluting words tnx :D

32. kainat says:

amazing

33. aNdRiA says:

to each our own…..
    this world is beautifu…..
    we all have special words we find meaning in…..
    words that make our hearts bleed….
    astounding, individuality, melodic, unique, grateful, unusual, touch, hug, love, friendship, family, radiant, patience, delicate. caress, creative, thoughtful, memories,reminising, friendly, smile,
    But depending on your intonation even words defined in a derogatory sense can be concidered beautiful…….

34. kiko says:

doesn’t estivate/aestivate mean to sleep in the summer, as opposed to hibernate?

35. eeaarn says:

Be glad of existence because it gives you the opportunity to love, to function, to play, and to appear up at the stars.

36. After looking over a number of the blog articles on your website, I truly like your way
    of writing a blog. I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back soon.
    Please visit my web site too and let me know what you think.

37. youtube.com says:

The frequent symptoms of adore include sweaty palms, faster heartbeat, shaky knees,
    loss of concentration, and dreaminess.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] beautiful strong words [You Are Remarkable | thanks Libby] [...]

2. [...] is a post today about 10 beautiful english words. HT to the WordPress home page. The words are: 1. adroit: dexterous, agile 2. adumbrate: to very [...]

3. [...] us beautiful strong words — 10 of the most beautiful words in the English language, with a link to the next 90.  [...]

4. [...] preceeding post about beautiful words had a couple of links. One was for beautiful words # 11-110. The other was for the 100 funniest [...]

5. [...] YOUAREREMARKABLE: [beautiful strong words | risk. | postal [...]